Windshield Wiper Rebuild

The windshield wipers are made by AM Equipment and sell parts direct to consumer. They have an outstanding customer service team that walked me through some issues I ran into when I rebuilt one of mine.

Thee are left-hand and right-hand versions of both the motor and the mounting plate.

Motors are “12v Dynamic Park”, part number:
Port: 230-1001
Stbd: 230-2001

The motors use a 1.25" Pivot Shaft found here:

The head of the shaft is the most exposed to salt water and the grip-nut may seize or rust to the point where you might need to cut it and replace the shaft. If you are lucky enough that the main spindle is in good shape, they do make a rebuild kit to replace all the parts exposed to the elements here:

The wiper arm is part # 352-2020

Here are a couple of tricks/things I learned when installing a new pivot shaft on my port side:

1. If you look at the new pivot shaft it comes with a PIN on the flat metal part that allows you to adjust the connection position between 3 options - A,B,C. By default it ships in position B. For the Safeboat you need to move it to position A before installing. If you don’t do this, then the blades will over-swipe and end up on the roof. Ask me how I know this ;).

2. If the blade isn’t quite stopping in the right spot, then you need to set the “Park Position”. If you look carefully at the parts diagram below, on page 3 it shows the park position as about 185 degrees. Note - this is different for LH/RH. You can change this by adjusting the nut. If it’s not clear - it’s talking about the position of the S-bend bit of metal coming off the drive-shaft pin.

230-unitized-assembly-engineering-print.pdf (1.1 MB)