Upgrading RACOR Fuel Filters & Locker

The back port locker of my boat was crusty to say the least. Here are some before pictures:

I wanted to clean this up. In addition to replacing all the hoses and lines, I also wanted to remove those old Flowscan sensors. I had switched over to using a NMEA cable connected to the Honda’s and using the onboard Honda flow sensors do didn’t need the Flowscans anymore. Also, I wanted to get rid of the in-line primer bulbs and use the RACOR filter with integrated primer.

Here’s the after shot:

Parts for this job:

• 4 ft of Trident 365 Barrier Lined A1-10 Fuel Hose (5/8” ID) for the vent lines
  • 30ft of Trident A1-10 Fuel Hose (5/16" ID) for connections
  • 3ft of Trident Fuel Fill Hose (1.5" ID)
  • SS hose clamps
  • Racor 490R-RAC-01 fuel filter housing with primer bulb
  • (Optional) Attwood 5/8" surge protector to prevent backflow on fuel vent.
  • Racor 951-N6-H5 Hose Barb (5/16"). Need 4 of these to connect hose in and out of each Racor.

Notes:

• I redid all hoses to the Hondas, they pass through some blue sea cable clams into the stbd locker, and I ended up putting new clams in as mine were nasty.
  • The connection to the 225 is just a barbed fitting, common in this location to use a zip-tie instead of a hose-clamp to prevent chafing in the rigging tube. But you need to make sure you but special fuel-line zip ties also known as “Radius Ties” as they seal 100” around the hose radius vs. a normal ziptie which leaves a gap.
  • In and out of the Racor use the fitting listed and single-clamp it.
  • Connection to the fuel tank is tricky. It’s some custom compression fitting. I ended up pulling the old ones out and sending a section of new-hose and the hoses to a hydraulic shop in Seattle that made up that one end with the same fitting (included the old so they could measure it, but they actually ended up re-using it as it was stainless and they couldn’t source it).
  • I think the Racor comes with two blanking caps (for unused ports) but I can’t recall – so you might need some 3/8 NPT blanks.
  • Vents and fill hoses were easy.

A word of caution:
While doing this job - I ended up breaking the wire on my fuel-level sending unit. This photo showing the new one installed but not wired up yet. Don’t break this!!! Replacing the sending unit was brutal and involved re-tapping the threads in the tank while it was full of fuel. Not fun.