Spill-free fueling

Found this awesome gadget call the ‘Cleanway’ that allows me to fuel spill-free. Not sure how I ever lived without it - I can go full-throttle at the gas pump and not worry anymore.

Product available here:

Fantastic device. Order directly from Clean Way not Amazon so you can order the “SAFE Boat Defender” version. I didn’t have the air vent issue but it’s a simple fix if I do in the future, as noted.

1 Like

Thanks, just ordered one!

-Jake

Just watched your video again and now need to install the air vent check valve to prevent it spilling out air vents! Thought maybe mine had some other modifications from previous private owner.

Do you have the part for that check valve? And does that close off the air vent completely?

Thanks!
Jake

attwood Fuel Vent Line Surge Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZ7PE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_OFDZRyunKc1Sv

Almost 3x the price I paid for it pre-pandemic!!

I brought the boat into Lifeproof Boats in Bremerton last Winter for a few modifications and learned a bit about the fuel tanks on these vessels from talking to Micah there, who used to work at SAFE down the street. He said the way the boat sits in the water creates a big air bubble at bow side of fuel tank which is why it’s so hard to fuel up fully. For best results if you have passengers onboard, have them all sit as far forward in the bow as possible, and you can get many more gallons in the tank.

Interesting. I’d worry that the more you got stuffed into the tank the increased risk of it spilling out the vent with heat-expansion … but maybe air expands more than gasoline with heat?

I don’t think I’ve ever been able to get my fuel gauge to actually read full, usually only goes past a heavy 3/4.

Gauge is notoriously bad - mine improved when I swapped sending unit, but still not great. If you don’t already - get into habit of resetting the flow scan each time you fill and rely on your burn counter vs you tank gauge. Even better if you have NMEA fuel computer and NMEA hookup to the Honda flow meters.