Rubber Flaps to Replace Scupper Bags

At Brett’s request, I am posting about the rubber flaps I have in place of the scupper bags for the aft motor well drains. When I did bottom paint, at Seaview in Seattle, they suggested replacing the scupper bags with the rubber flaps. They have served me well over the past couple of years and are still in good shape.

1 Like

Why the bottom paint? Does that reduce growth?

@Theleafblowerguy - Yeah - critical here in the PNW. If you leave your boat in for even a month it gets covered in barnacles and slows things down a lot :slight_smile:

@25500 - my bag scuppers get really bad marine growth every year - usually replace every 2-3 years. how do the barnacles like the flappers? and any idea where to source them?

I would love a pointer to source the flaps. I anti-fouling painted by Defenders bottom as well as it’s in the water all year round.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra--exhaust-flapper-valves--P006_180_011_525

For comparison - scupper bags are about $16/ea direct from Safeboat.

Also, this place seems to have for less than WM (now I know what to search for ;))

FYI, the scuppers on our 2005 RBS are 4 1/2" in diameter. So, I went with some 4 3/8" ID ones from Harbor Marine in Everett. Tight fit but look great.

Where did you buy the rubber scuppers?

Fisheries in Seattle has them, the only thing I’ve noticed is the flags get stuck in the tube at times, likely doesn’t decrease drain performance.

1 Like

Hi guys, i can only find 4inch, or 5-6inch scupper flappers. Anyone got a link to 4.5" i.d. ones?

@Lobstermobster did you ever find a source for these? fisheries has 4" or 5-6", but i don’t see 4.5"…